Cheap Flight vs. Long-Haul Bus
Lima – Cusco (Machu Picchu), Peru
Cusco, Peru – the largest city near Machu Picchu – is obviously a very popular destination. For a little more than the cost of a plush bus seat, you can skip the 22-hour bus ride from Lima and take a 1-1/2 hour flight into Cusco for about the same price.
The Size of South America
To put things into perspective, from the top of Venezuela to the bottom of Chile is approximately 4,600 miles (7,400 kilimeters). The width of the United State is about 3,000 miles. Imagine traveling across the United States and half way back… by bus.
There is so much to see in South America. Be sure to check into options for an occasional flight to help you keep your sanity and maximize your travel time and energy.
Local Airlines in South America
- Sky Airline – A Chilean airline, offers some of the best deals. Their regular schedule includes 14 cities in Chile, travel to Buenos Aires and Mendoza in Argentina, and Lima and Arequipa, Peru. View destinations
- Aerolineas Argentina – Flights in Argentina and from the United States to South America.
- LAN – One of the largest airline carriers in South America.
- Taca – Connects its four Hubs – Colombia, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Peru.
- Avianca – Mainly serving Central America and connecting South America.
If you see an advertised airline special, make sure that you read the fine print. Some promotions have restrictions by nationality. This is to make air travel affordable for locals. This is especially true in countries like Peru where there is a large difference in the economy for locals as opposed to foreign travelers.